It is becoming increasingly important to bring art to the public eye, much of what we see currently is restricted to the dimensions of a digital device. With reduced access to cultural spaces due to the pandemic and creativity bursting at the seams, we want to help feed the creative hunger by developing a new mural opportunity in the city at our venue Ocean Studios.
We are looking for bold, innovative creatives to join us on this mural journey, developing an ever-changing series of murals for the community to enjoy. Starting from April 2021, we plan to have a series of murals created back-to-back across the hoardings in our courtyard. It is often challenging for artists to test work in the public realm, so this series of opportunities will be a platform to do just that!
We aim to be as inclusive as possible in our work but recognise we're on a journey. We also recognise the creative sector is biased towards those who are white, cisgender and non-disabled. Our programme will be stronger with greater diversity and we welcome applications from those who bring difference. We have included a short equality, diversity and inclusion survey with this application process and if successful, we may ask you for further information about you and/or your workforce so we can better understand our reach and how, together, we can start to break down barriers to inclusion and celebrate diversity. The information collected from the survey will be anonymous and completion is voluntary, and won’t be used to affect our shortlisting process in anyway.
For more information about how Real Ideas saves and uses your data please visit our website: www.realideas.org
What’s the process?
We are custodians of five buildings in Plymouth, Liskeard and Newquay, two of which are current renovation projects. They include Devonport Guildhall, Ocean Studios, CSpace, Market Hall and Liskeard Library.
This opportunity applies to Ocean Studios (Plymouth)
We invite you to tell us more about you and your creative enterprise so we can curate a set of vibrant murals in the courtyard.
We have provided criteria below and a link to an application form (and the equalities, diversity and inclusion survey). However, if you would prefer an alternative to writing, you can submit a short video - no longer than 3 mins or 4GB in size and submit it to [email protected]
What’s our criteria and what are we looking for?
- As a minimum we request that you are a Real Ideas ‘Join Us’ Member to apply – so if you haven’t signed up yet, please visit www.realideas.org/membership/ and become part of our growing community
- It’s only open to South West based businesses and individuals (sorry, on this occasion, your application will be removed from the shortlisting process if your postcode is outside our region)
- We’re looking for murals to be diverse, bold and positive. Proposals which wave the flag for social and environmental change will be more favorable.
- We love collaboration so we'll accept collective or individual proposals
- We will be splitting the hoardings into 3 sections, each section to have a different mural, completed by different artists
- Our local community is special to us, strong proposals will include ideas for g. events/workshops to run alongside with support from Real Ideas
- We want the community to have a chance to enjoy the hoardings, Each mural will be on display for 2 months (including set-up and re-painting the wall to original state)
- We want to make the most of the good weather mural slots include, April-May, June-July, Aug-Sept, October-November. There will be 3 opportunities per timescale.
- Artists must use their own materials to create the mural
- We’ll be on hand to support the planning if this is your first mural idea or even if you are a mural pro
- We’ll provide the paint for artist(s) to return hoardings to original state
- We’ll expect a rough design plan to be sent prior to the execution of the wall to be signed off by Real Ideas
- We’re looking for murals that are creatively focused rather than commercial advertisements
- Real Ideas is committed to taking responsibility for its own impact on the environment and society. We recognise that our purchasing of goods and services has sustainable implications, and we are actively working towards reducing the negative effects these purchases may cause. We want to work with more people who are either working towards or are already established in being as sustainable and ethical as possible
Interested? Apply via the link below before Monday 19th April!